Welcome to my Newtonian Reflector Telescope Build

Hello. This is a slow-moving project, but eventually I hope to have a completed Newtonian style reflector telescope to show. I'm the sort of person who usually has more than one project on the go at once, which means all my projects tend to progress slowly (unless I have a particular aim in mind). I don't tend to blog much about my projects, unless they are of particular interest, but you may find I have one or two others being blogged about. As of June 18, 2011, I started up my new blog about the archtop guitar I've begun. Not much to talk about yet, but as I get going I should be able to start posting soon. And, of course, as this Newtonian project moves along I will post here too.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Way It's Made - In Theory - part 2

I mentioned the Cell above, but didn't really say what it is, or what it does. In short, it does several things to ensure that the mirror is doing OK.

First, it holds the mirror in the proper position - which is to say, facing up the tube toward the secondary mirror.

Second, it provides a gentle cradle, if you will, to prevent pressure on the mirror which might distort the surface and give you a poor image. Yes, it's that sensitive. I couldn't believe it when I read about that. It's glass. Putting it in a clamp is gonna distort it enough to blur the image? Wowsers!

Third, it provides an open surrounding that allows free air flow, which helps keep the mirror from fogging.

Finally, it is constructed in such a way that allows the user to subtly move the angle of the mirror to do something called Collimation. In a Newtonian telescope, all this really means is that you line up your mirrors and eyepiece such that you end up with the optimal view.

I have some plans for the cell that I will post here soon.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there Gypsyboy,

    I should've had access to your blog when I was 'a 15, but that's quite a while ago, and yeah I read books on the making of 'scopes, all beyond my means then (an' now, well I ain't got much more, but still, I do my thing). So, then I was given that reflector of but 3,5" and wow, I still remember the thrill of being able to look 'deep' into that night sky.

    Have you made up a timeline for your project or are you just taking things on as they come along?

    Albatross

    ReplyDelete
  2. By some weird coincidence, I mentioned in my next entry that I don't have a time line, or deadline, for my project - and I hadn't read your comment yet. This blog will progress as does my project, which will progress as time and money permit.

    Thanks for taking an interest in my blog, and my project. I welcome any comments you have. The more input I have here the better.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all questions/comments about my project. But please keep in mind that I'm not (yet) a telescope know-it-all.